Donate If You Enjoyed

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mr Roboto and Square Watermelons

Square Watermelons WTF?

The cost? A very reasonable $150. The taste? Sadly the same.

I think the Simpson's brainwashed me. After seeing an episode where they go to Japan and eat a square watermelon I assumed this was commonplace in Japan.


Upon reaching the shores, my assumption was deemed erroneous (as are most things in my life).
The square ones turned out to be unique to only one place in Japan and no Japanese believed me except all the other Gaijin (foreigners) who had seen that Simpson's episode.


In Japan giving fruit is considered a great present. The fruit is individually packaged and looks beautiful.
On top of that, costs a fortune.
Somehow I came into the knowledge that melon's are good to give as gifts are pricey MOFO's (especially those damned square ones).

Its only $84 for one mango. Seems reasonable!


My thought was to give a melon and get some brownie points with my host family for all the terrible things I did. I used the shower and prevented them from accessing the bathroom to brush their teeth, put my body hairs in the bath that has been reused 100 times, broke two hundred year old tea sets etc etc. I'm sure the tea set is easily replaceable though, not overly concerned about it. I'll pick up a new one at the dollarstore.
The only thing related to brownie points figuratively was the melon. It was soft, just like a brownie.
Usually the cost was outrageous, as in up to $100. I wasn't even sure about a square one. I see $150 and upwards online.


I found a nice looking melon among the rotten ones on a day trip to Osaka (this sounds like some sexual innuendo, but no I'm not going there).
Discounted to a still rather expensive $20 (2000 yen).
I headed home with a rotten melon in my backpack. I guess I should have been using my brain and thinking to put the melon in the fridge or perhaps freezer (to make it appear more solid), but instead being me, I left it in my backpack and threw it in my closet. Threw, and I don't mean figuratively. I mean I actually threw it.

It was already slightly soft, but since I forget it, threw it, and left it in my closet it got even more soft.
I pulled it out after two days and my fingers mushed through like fat skin.
I handed it to my host family.
"OH I bought a melon, strangely it went soft, hmmm... Well its the thought that counts".

They cut it up.

Does it taste good to eat rotten melons? I'll let you know it does not!
Its as terrible as it sounds, rotten, over the top foul and slightly mouldy.


I handed them the melon. It looks "OK" I thought. They might not notice its rotten.


I hoped they appreciated the thought behind it, because the taste was horrendous and I had to join in to pretend like I wasn't aware it was rotten.

I mumbled "Yum delicious", as I tried not to throw up.

Rotten melon, I'm SO NOT loving IT!

If you found anything above amusing or even slightly funny help me out and click one of those boxes above or give me a Google +1 or something. Might come in handy in the future.


Other funny stories from my blog
 http://memoirsgaijin.blogspot.ca/


My Youtube Channel (makes no sense just like my blog)
http://www.youtube.com/user/judoka4eva 

2 comments:

Blog Directory Top Blog Sites

http://blogname.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss